top of page
Happy Family Portrait


Some people in the United States can petition for relatives
to immigrate to the United States. 

Your status determines which relatives or future relatives may be eligible to immigrate. In order to sponsor a family member, you must be a:

  • U.S. citizen,

  • Green card holder (permanent resident), or a

  • Refugee or asylee admitted within the past 2 years

Immediate relatives of U.S. citizens: visas are unlimited so are always available for these petitions. This includes:

  • The spouse of a U.S. citizen;

  • The unmarried child under 21 years of age of a U.S. citizen; or

  • The parent of a U.S. citizen (if the U.S. citizen is 21 years of age or older).


Other categories of relatives are limited and there may be a much longer wait. A visa becomes available under a preference category based on the status of the petitioner and his or her relationship with a beneficiary. Preference categories are grouped generally as follows:

  • First preference: Unmarried, adult sons and daughters of U.S. citizens.

  • Second Preference: Spouses and unmarried children of green card holders and unmarried adult sons and daughters

  • Third Preference: Married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens

  • Fourth Preference: Brothers and sisters of adult U.S. citizens

Professional Help Is The Best Way To Proceed In Family-Based Immigration

Carrion Law has years of experience assisting U.S. citizens successfully welcome their relative into the U.S as a lawful permanent resident. 

For more information, visit

Questions? Ready to take the first step?

bottom of page